Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Beautiful Beaune

We visited Beaune about 25 years ago and it was just as lovely as we remembered.  I had a light salad for lunch and felt much better for it.  I ambled around the town happily. Well actually, I was hoping to have a wonderful little cake in a patisserie but we didn't find one that was open.  You had to pay 50c to use the loo which Mr Smith resented giving me.  In fact, my wees cost him dear as I had to go again later so ran up a whole Euro's debt.

I bought a jigsaw puzzle of this scene, without me in it, but it is impossibly difficult as all the bits of roof look the same and somehow it got mixed up with bits of croissant so I just gave up and put it back in its box. I will torture Mr Smith with it at Christmas.

Mr Smith is being quite well behaved on his holiday;  he only shouts at me about once a day which is usually about my directions either to or in a town - well maps and I just don't really get on.  I take the happy go lucky approach and find you usually end up at the cathedral/town hall/bar.

We are off to the marvellous market at Dijon today where I will buy overpriced mustard in fancy jars and something really exciting for our dinner.  Yesterday, being Monday, most things in Beaune were closed.  Today, being Tuesday, most things in Dijon are closed except the market and the shops.  Oh good, no boring old museums - lots of shopping.  I know it's one of the greatest galleries in France but we did the Ducal Palace last time we came here.  I'm sure the Duke won't mind if we give him a miss today especially as he is closed.  I will visit the mustard museum instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment