Friday, September 23, 2011

Frugality

I am somewhat inexperienced when it comes to being frugal but I am catching on fast.  We are now officially poor, except we're not.  To be honest it's really just how you think about things.  Anyway, with this belt tightening in mind Mr and Mrs Smith mooched around the supermarket wondering if we really should be in Lidl or Aldi rather than Sainsbums.  We bought all the cheap stuff, buying quite a few things we didn't want because they were only a pound.  Well, they were a bargain and we're on the hunt for bargains.  So satisfied with our excellent economy buys we then popped into PC World next door and purchased a computer.  This is my gift to Mr Smith as I am so sorry for him losing his job; this is to cheer him up and keep him off my laptop.  The saintly Apprentice spent the whole evening setting it up which wasn't easy as it fought him at every turn but Mr Smith is now on the internet with a printer and an antivirus and Word.  He just doesn't know how to turn it on!

I had an e-mail from the Beeman who is a bonkers old friend from the Caribbean currently visiting Britain.  He went out to Nevis about 30 years ago with VSO to teach beekeeping and just never came back.  So really he's a bit of an overgrown student.  Anyway, he's in England and e-mailed me yesterday saying he has had a terrible time trying to get e-mail access as the friend he was staying with is a born again lesbian and won't let any man touch her laptop (oh, I know just how she feels) and his old Scottish uncle has such an old cranky model he couldn't make it work.  Eventually he managed to get to Pollockshields public library and wrote inviting me to the East Kent Ploughing Match Championship in Faversham next Wednesday.  Oh no, I think I might have to decline.  However, it does sound quite fun in a very obscure kind of way.  People have to invent or use very old ploughing machines - John Doe are not invited. I might, just might, go along.  I'll think about it whilst I sing "One man went to mow...." to Mr Smith, loudly.




No comments:

Post a Comment