Friday, July 15, 2011

Greenery

Mr Smith cleverly persuaded the Student son to clip the hedge outside the front of our house.  I suppose he threatened to withdraw financial support and make him actually get a job!  He made quite a good effort although I had to get him everything - step ladder, hedge trimmer, rubbish bag, broom.  Somehow he couldn't manage that part himself.  However, when he'd finished I decided the hedge is far too high; you can't reach the top any more so there are sprouty bits sticking up.  I got the heavy duty clippers and gave it a good hack marking the height I would like it to be.  There is now an enormous hole in our hedge and a very irate Student.  Apparently that was his best bit. We need a man.  And a chainsaw.  Maybe I could hire one but how on earth would we dispose of the hedge trimmings?  It would take us 3 months of continuous trips to the tip with plastic bags full of hedge.  However, I am tempted to get the required tool and just zoom all the way along.  Mr Smith is going to call  Les Underpants, our local tree surgeon, but I bet he's expensive.

This is what I have in mind.

I had an excellent harvest last night of things green in our vegetable garden.  I fed them a medley of broad, french, runner and borlotti beans with a few peas, brocolli sprigs and courgettes in a lovely creme fraiche sauce on spaghetti topped with parmesan and parsley.  They moaned. This would be so much nicer with:- bacon, salmon, salami, ham etc.  The idea was to taste all the home grown vegetables; the sweetness of the peas, the courgettiness of the courgette, the broad of the beans.  Oh Philistines, why don't I just give them hedge trimmings and be done with it?  Anyway, I have trouble eating my vegetables; they have been so carefully nurtured they are almost my children.  NO, we can't eat Clarissa cabbage, she's my best one.  I'll buy some in Sainsburys.

No comments:

Post a Comment