Sunday, July 17, 2011

May contain nuts

I have strained my wrist and it is absolute agony.  Typing this is hurting but one must suffer for ones art. I think I did it shelling pistachios but if you told me I'd actually been arm wrestling with Geoff Capes, I'd believe you.

The Apprentice, my cupcake no.1 fan, requested pistachio cupcakes.  They looked rather good in the picture in the book.  The first problem was procuring the pistachios.  I needed unsalted pistachios;  hence my safari to Tesco on Friday.  The student is a prize pistachio sheller - so glad he learnt something other than how to roll a joint at university.  He and I shelled away and it was very difficult; they can be tough little buggers to get out of their shells.  I baked my cakes, made them lovely cream cheese toppings and shelled a few more really difficult nuts and crushed them using the proper magimix attachment because I like extra washing up.  The result:-


"Oh look, garlic cupcakes, I'll give them a miss" says Mr Smith.  Actually, they taste a bit sawdusty and not as  scrumptious as the strawberry jam indulgences I usually rustle up and definitely not worth the enormous effort.

All evening my wrist hurt.  I awoke in the night with this searing pain.  I took a couple of neurofen and got through the night but now I am a one armed bandit.  Oh how it hurts.  I am going to wear a sling so my family realise I am injured and not just pretending.  Well, they'll still  think I'm pretending but better.  I am now going to look up sprained wrists and suffer every symptom including carpal tunnel, tendonitis, rms, sprang, fracture, arthritis and rheumatism.  OK I made up sprang, anything for a bit of sympathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment