Monday, June 27, 2011

Death by Salad

I cannot say my rotten selfish children never give me anything; I have the Apprentice's cold.  I greeted Mr Smith on his return from France with a streaming nose, ghastly headache and raging sore throat.  I really am not much fun to come home to.  He brought weird things back from his travels.  I asked for some Fraise liqueur but instead got a bottle of green banana liqueur and a couple of things that look like loo cleaner: blue curacao and something bright orange.  Maybe they will cure my cold.  He had also bought cider, ah now that's a bit more like it.  I note it is Brittany cider which seems a bit odd as he was in Normandy - oh, it was on special offer.

The student says he has definitely got salad poisoning and is going to die.  I explained the hazards of drinking too much alcohol as I have never known him to eat salad, ever.  He wants to know whose seeds I use in my  garden in case he accidentally eats a vegetable when he comes home - without doubt Thompson & Morgan down to the last chive.  Everything is growing so beautifully I think we might have a medley of first borns for Vegetarian Tuesday.  It'll be something like cabbage leaves with three mangetouts, two broad beans and a teeny french bean on a small cauliflower.  Oh so exciting.  Mr Smith looks at their non uniformity suspiciously and mumbles about them being far cheaper and easier to procure from Sainsburys.  Yes, I know.



I am trying to find a welding class.  I quite fancy myself with an oxy acetylene torch in the back bedroom running up a few fancy wrought iron structures for my vegetable growing.  It doesn't matter if they are a bit bish as they're only for me and my beans.  Mr Smith sighs.  "They're not that expensive at the garden centre and they're all uniform."  He just doesn't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment