Sunday, June 5, 2011

Something Fishy

God how I hate the diet I am on.  This is why I am wholly delighted to see Rose Prince's column in the Telegraph yesterday that reported a diet guru war between Dr Dukan (my man) and J M Cohen who claims the diet is unhealthy.  Actually, between you and me it is not; it is tremendously healthy with a massive emphasis on no fat or sugar or carbs or nice things.  No, it's all sensible meat, fish, eggs and a few veg.  Shame, because I thought crisps dipped into hummus was just the thing as my pre-lunch snack whilst I eyed up a pork pie and left over fruit crumble in the fridge.  The Mother of the Bride is apparently a Dukanee (although the woman doesn't look as though she ever needed to lose a pound).

I have suddenly developed a loathing for fish.  I have tried all sorts of different fish lately; those with and without bones and I am sorry but I find you all revolting.  I had prawns and smoked salmon salad for lunch and it was vile. Yesterday it was small plaice on the barbecue - potentially divine as it went from the man's net at the seaside straight into my freezer -  but yuk, it tasted of fish.  I know when I eat delicious fish it is firstly cooked by someone else and secondly in never less than 8 oz of pure dairy butter, or batter, or a gorgeous creamy sauce. Fish is also hideously expensive.  I am having salmon for dinner but I hate farmed salmon because all it does in its life is sit in a tank eating other salmons' poo and, because I know this, I can taste it.  I want to eat salmon caught by the Queen Mother (no, actually, that might be a bit smelly), or someone who might have been to school with her grandsons, from the Dee or Tay or Tee or Tum. I have a feeling the cost would be only marginally less than mermaid per pound.

I now need chocolate in serious quantities to remove the taste of fish from my palate.  Good this diet, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment