Friday, March 11, 2011

Richard, Judy & Mrs Smith's book club

I have to confess I still have failed to apply brush to canvas. I have in mind a series of paintings about my dog walks. I have even bought a dog walk shaped canvas - long and thin. I will paint but not just yet as I have other things requiring my attention like all that space I have to stare into. Actually, since I tidied my sewing room, carefully folding all the bits of fabric and placing them in their new Ikea basket drawers, there is considerably more space to gaze into vacantly. However, I haven't yet made a start on the workroom where I (sometimes) paint.

I have been reading loads of rubbish lately so thought I'd write you my reviews:-

Trespass - Rose Tremain. A bit like Joanne Harris without the chocolate. A charming tale of a feud between sister and brother over a tumbling down farmhouse in southern France with a dead body thrown in for excitement.

Started early, took my dog - Kate Atkinson. Quite enjoyed this as a ripping yarn. A bit tv detectivish with Pauline Quirk playing the lead. Too many characters at the end.

Her Fearful Symmetry - (By Time Traveller's Wife author) Dire rubbish, please don't bother.

The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein - written by a dog about motor racing and family life. Totally brilliant.

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Attwood. SO GOOD, why on earth had I not read this before?
The Blind Assassin - Margaret Attwood. A bit heavy going at present.

Running with Scissors - Augusten Burroughs - Fabulous, amazing, sad and funny. Have just read the prequel - A wolf at the table. Please read these.

One Day - David Nicholls. I saw people reading this on holiday, quite a few people, so I assume it must have something. I have only just started so will let you know.

Mr Smith asks me what I am going to do today. Finish my book. Not really cooking his dinner is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment