Thursday, January 13, 2011

Run fat girl run

Running - nothing to it, you just put on an ipod, place one foot in front of the other and give it a bit of welly. It's fast walking. But it isn't! When I go for a run the ground turns into a giant wobble board that thrashes the soles of my feet jarring my knees at every painful pace. I also seem to expend an enormous amount of energy moving slightly slower than if I just went for a brisk walk. I am completely exhausted with a big stitch in my side after a couple of yards. Have you ever seen Peter Kaye doing "Dad running"? That's me. I need help. When Big Al was alive he got me running on the beach. The sand is slightly more forgiving than other surfaces and the distances between the breakwaters are manageable. He would send me off giving little shouts of enthusiasm and pretending to time me. I'd look up to find the dot on the foreshore was no longer there and limped back to find him in the pub in need of a pint of cider as all that running had given him quite a thirst. Running must be less boring than walking as the background changes at a faster pace. It must be far less boring than swimming where the background doesn't change at all. I will persist. Oh it's raining. I'll watch a film instead.

Later: Made it to first tree. Here's what hurts: Thighs, calves (which long since grew into cows), chest, fat bits under my shoulder blades, bum, cheeks (on face), head, tongue and many other parts. This is hopeless! But I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment