Monday, November 7, 2011

Horse and Carriage

What shall I do today?  I'm supposed to be clearing up the shed where I dumped everything when I cleared up the playroom to make some space for Mr Smith's home office.  This was great in theory except he works in the dining room and now I can't find anything or serve any meals.  The shed could make a perfect work space for me but I seem to have got over that desire to toil my life away.  I have more interesting things to do and whilst Mr Smith is safely on the golf course it is definitely time to do some of them.

Firstly, there is my C& G cake decorating homework to get on with.  It looked a bit tricky so I gave up about 3 months ago and I really must get back to it.  I also made my cakes without boiling the jam so it will probably have gone mouldy.  Thank goodness it is a correspondence course so nobody has to mark me on taste; I'll feed it to my family.  They always moan about everything as they ladle an extra helping onto their plates so I have grown immune ... sometimes I throw it at them.  Hard fruit cake will do very well for this purpose.

I also have to redesign Carina's quilt for the fifth time.  I just don't know what I am going to do but I'm sure it'll come to me once the fabric arrives.  The only criteria is bright and cheery as she is having a very rough time with her very difficult husband.  I'm sure they'll work it out as I carefully adopt a Madame Defarge approach to this and incorporate the letters D I V O R C E into the design; failing that there's always beheading.

Nigel told me a great story about a friend of his parents who thought things on the marital front were trogging along as usual when he received a solicitors' letter from his wife demanding a divorce.  As she was sitting opposite him at the breakfast table as usual he was a little taken aback.  She'd just had enough but couldn't quite bring herself to tell him.  Actually, my mother-in-law received the news of her divorce in the much the same out-of-the-blue way.  She thought nothing much was wrong but whilst they were abroad he suddenly announced "I'm leaving you" and off he went.  Mind you everybody else in the world knew about his string of affairs - she just thought he was a bit tired.

I hope Mr Smith really is playing golf.... with really boring people.

No comments:

Post a Comment